While growing up, we all have faced certain issues in our lives, and acne would be the most prominent one to destroy certain occasions or appear post occasions. Acne is a skin issue that people suffer with at least once in their lifetime, but that certainly doesn’t mean that it cannot be fixed. But it is also true that there is no specific treatment that one can follow for fixing all the types of acne. And teenage, adult or any other kind of acne can be very persistent if you are not using the correct products as their solution.
Now, if you are the victim of the same issue then do not worry, we have a solution for all those problems. Baking soda for acne is a great solution that you will find in your own kitchen for solving these issues. We will read all about the cures, dos and don’ts in this article:
What is baking soda and how is it made?
Sodium Bicarbonate is generally known as Baking soda. Baking soda combined with any kind of moisture will create a reaction and thus cause expansion. It is used in many dishes such as bread, cakes and what not. But using it for your face is another remedy for curing acne.
Does baking soda for acne really work?
Baking soda is known to work as an exfoliating agent for almost all skin types. It removes excess oil, dirt and dead skin cells that are present in our skin. The pH level of our skin is balanced by the baking soda which further stops the growth of bacteria. The anti-inflammation properties of baking soda will reduce any red marks or irritation over your skin. The collagen growth is promoted by the soda which further helps in correction of acne scars and thus helps the skin grow more. The oil left behind after cleaning normally is also removed so that, it doesn’t cause any other problem to your skin.
The Oily Skin Solution eBook. Get rid of oily skin overnight
“I highly recommend you to read this book. The oily skin solution is an 89 page eBook that details what exactly is the root cause of oily skin. The best way to fight or beat something is to understand it first and what exactly is causing it. Author has a comprehensive write-up about this in her eBook”
Click here to download this ebook
What does baking soda do for your acne?
Now, we know that baking soda can be actually used on the skin and can do wonders for your acne, marks, and scars. Here is what the baking soda can do to your skin if used properly:
- The anti-inflammatory properties in baking soda cure redness and swelling on your skin because of acne marks left behind. Any kind of irritation or sunburn is also corrected.
- Baking soda will prevent your acne and also help you fight the further growth of acne too. The baking soda helps reduce pigmentation and remove scars from acne.
- The drying agent in baking soda removes excess oil or sebum and helps in maintaining the natural pH of the skin. It also prevents your skin from having breakouts or pimples.
- Since our skin is acidic whenever we have a pimple or acne, and the baking soda is alkaline, so it helps in balancing the acid created.
Some cautions before using Baking Soda for Acne:
You should always be careful before you want to use anything for your face since damaging our face is not an idea we like. We all want our face to perfect no matter what. But when we go through problems like acne, pimples, scars, and blemishes we find cures that can help us. Baking soda is another cure of that kind, but some of the precautions before using it for your face are:
- Always do a patch test before using it on your face if you have sensitive skin.
- Avoid applying it to the eye area while using the paste.
- You should never use soda on burnt areas, bruises or cuts.
- After using baking soda on your face do not forget to use moisturizer as baking soda tends to dry out your skin.
- Prepare your baking soda paste fresh and avoid storing it for the next use.
What is the best way to use baking soda?
The best way to use baking soda for your face would be combining it with some honey and then applying it to the affected areas. It will help you in clearing your skin from further damage and also cure the damaged skin. Apply it for 15 minutes and then wash it off.
10 Ways To Use Baking Soda For Treating Acne:
Baking soda is a great solution for many skin woes that we all face from day to day. We will list down 10 ways in which you can use baking soda for treating your acne:
1. Ingredients: 2 tbsp Baking Soda, 2 tbsp Water, Moisturizer
Preparation: Mix baking soda, water together in order to get a paste-like consistency. Washing your face prior to application is important and make sure your face is dry. Apply the paste on affected areas and let it stay for 15 mins. Wash it after it’s dry with water and then apply a moisturizer. This can be used on alternate days of a week.
2. Ingredients: 2 tbsp Baking Soda, 2 tbsp Water, 1 tsp Lemon Juice, Moisturiser.
Preparation: Firstly mix baking soda, water, and the lemon juice together into a paste. After washing your face properly apply the paste on your face like a mask. After 15 mins wash it off with lukewarm water and then apply moisturizer.
3. Ingredients: 1 tbsp raw honey, 1 tbsp baking soda, moisturizer
Preparation: Mix baking soda and honey together to form a paste smooth enough to apply. After washing your face apply it on your face in the affected areas. After application uses a warm cloth to cover your face and keep it for 5 mins. After its cool remove the paste with the cloth itself and wash your face. Finish off with a moisturizer.
4. Ingredients: 1 tsp Baking Soda, 1 tsp Coconut Oil, Moisturizer, cleanser
Preparation: Add the cleanser with coconut oil and baking soda and use this to massage your face gently. After some minutes of massaging, wash your face with cold or lukewarm water. Finish off with a moisturizer. This can be used twice or thrice a week.
5. Ingredients: 1 tbsp baking soda, 1 tbsp water, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
Preparations: Mix baking soda and water together to a paste. Wash your face and pat it dry, apply the mix on the areas affected, and then let it dry for 15 mins. Wash it with lukewarm or cold water. On the next day soak a cotton or cloth in vinegar and then dab on the areas affected. After 15 mins wash off. This can be done almost every alternate day.
6. Ingredients: ½ tsp organic toothpaste, ½ tsp baking soda, 1 tsp water and washcloth
Preparation: For opening up, your pores, place a warm cloth on your face and then keep it for 5 minutes. Mix baking soda, toothpaste and water to make the mixture. Apply this on your face and then rub the paste using a toothbrush. Wash your face after it’s done. You can do this almost every day.
7. Ingredients: 1 tbsp Olive oil, 1 tbsp Baking soda
Preparation: Mix baking soda and olive oil to form a paste and apply it on the affected areas after washing your face properly. Massage for 5 minutes gently and then wash your face with water. You can use this every day.
8. Ingredients: 2 Aspirin tablets, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tbsp water and moisturizer
Preparations: Combine tablets, baking soda, and water for creating a mixture. Apply it to the affected places and let it dry for 15 mins. After it is dry wash it off with lukewarm water and then apply a moisturizer afterward. You can use this paste twice or thrice a week.
9. Ingredients: 1 tbsp Baking soda, 2 tbsp Oatmeal, 2 tbsp Water, Moisturizer
Preparations: Mix Baking Soda, Oatmeal, water together to form a paste. Apply this paste on the affected areas of your face. After 15 minutes wash it off with cold or lukewarm water and then apply moisturizer. It can be used 2-3 times every week.
10. Ingredients: 1 tbsp Baking soda, ¼ Cup Milk
Preparations: Combine together the baking soda and milk to form a paste. Now apply the paste onto the places affected and then massage gently in proper motions. After 5 minutes wash it off with lukewarm water. It can be applied 2 to 3 times every week.
Can I Make Baking Soda Acne Cream at Home:
There are many creams on the market that contain baking soda in it for curing acne, pimples, blemishes, and pigmentation. But there are no specific creams that can be prepared at home.
Baking Soda Acne Side effects:
Everything that is to be used has side effects, whether good or bad. Now, when you are going to use something on your face, you should always be careful about the side effects since the results are to cure your skin not to damage it any further. The side effects of using baking soda are:
- Dryness: Use of baking soda can create dryness in your skin after a point of time. It reduces the oil creation which further creates a dull look on your face. These can result in the early creation of wrinkles.
- PH Balance: It is known that baking soda balances our skin’s pH level but then our skin’s natural tendency is to be acidic. So while using baking soda on your skin, remember it will alter your skin’s natural habits.
- Damage: Last but not the least; it can cause physical damage to your skin since it can create pressure or wounds on your skin.
FAQ about Baking Soda for Acne:
1. How often should I use baking soda on my face for acne?
Baking soda can frequently be used on your face if you do not have sensitive skin. You can create a paste of baking soda and water and then apply that to your face.
2. Can I use baking soda on sensitive skin?
If you have a very sensitive skin, it is better to consult a dermatologist before using any homemade paste. It is safe since it neutralizes the pH of our skin.
3. Can I use baking soda for acne every day?
It depends completely on the type of your skin, but it can be used every alternate day if not every day since it can cause dryness too with prolonged usage. So, check your skin type before you start using the paste.
4. Can I use expired baking soda on my acne?
It is best not to use anything that has expired already. It might affect your skin adversely and cause further problems. But if the baking soda expired just some days back, then you can use it.
5. Is drinking baking soda good for acne?
Drinking the baking soda alone is not possible for one since it tastes very bad. But mixing it with some apple cider vinegar can help the process. The baking soda will do its job while the vinegar helps in maintaining the pH balance of the whole skin.
6. Does washing your face with baking soda help acne?
Improper pH and excessive oil secretion can be a great reason for causing acne, pimple, and blemishes. Now, when you wash your face with something that can reduce all of that you must use it wisely.
7. Why can everyone not use baking soda for Acne?
Most people nowadays have sensitive skin, if not our skins normal pH level is 4-5 but when the baking soda is applied to your skin, the level is balanced, and it comes to 7. This further can disturb the natural nature of the skin further causing issues.
Thus these are some of the great known uses, tips, and precautions about using baking soda for the treatment of acne and so many other problems that one might face with their skin. You can always visit a dermatologist before you start using anything permanently since not everything would suit everyone.